Saturday, August 1, 2009

Yosemite National Park

Yosemite - in a word, "magnificent."  My next word would be "crowded."

We were camping at Crane Flat, which is a good 30 minute drive from the valley where the visitor's center, store and cafes are located.  The downside was that we had to drive awhile to get anywhere.  The upside was that we could escape the crowds.  Our campground was full, but quiet (except for you-know-who&who&who.)  The valley was so crowded, I had a hard time finding a place to park in order to go into the visitor's center.  The shuttle did not go as far as our campground.  I inquired about taking a shuttle to Glacier Point.  It costs $41 per person for a round-trip shuttle ride.  (I was used to free shuttles at the other parks.)  I decided to drive rather than pay $205 for the bus ride.

Our big event at Yosemite was a sunset program with a ranger at Glacier Point.  While the sun set, the ranger told us about all the mountain peaks, various legends about the mountains, and how the mountains got their names.  My favorite story was of Mt. Florence.  It was named for a young woman, Florence _______, whose father managed one of the first hotels or lodges in Yosemite Valley.  Florence liked to wear pants and ride horses with the wranglers, which was unacceptable for a respectable nineteenth century woman.  Visitors to the park were outraged by her wild behavior and would take their complaints to her father.  He listened to them, then registered the visitors in his hotel.  So, Florence was good for her father's business while she was whooping it up with the cowboys.  Unfortunately, she died young and so the mountain was named for her.

Camping continues to be a good option for the children and they love making their meals on the fire.  They've been getting Junior Ranger badges at many of the national parks.  It's been a challenge, but fun and definitely a learning experience for all of them.  They have to complete several activities, all of which involve reading and writing.  Of course, that means that Mom is helping all four (even Hannah needs help with spelling now and then.)  I haven't taken pictures of them being sworn in as Junior Rangers, but they have all their badges.  I'm wondering what kind of badge I should get.  You can just picture the three younger ones all talking to me at the same time, then getting mad that I'm NOT HELPING! them.  I think I'll write to the National Park Service and suggest a Ranger Parent badge.  Or, maybe they can keep the badge and have a program for Junior Rangers to go to in the evening while their parents are treated to a glass of wine and a massage.

I'm hoping there is at least one photo attached to this post.  I'm frustrated with the length of time it takes to upload a photo when I'm using a wireless connection.  Okay, I give up - photos will have to come later.  Sorry, I know the photos are the best part of this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment