Saturday, August 1, 2009

How did we fit Chris in the car?


I had no idea how he would do it, but I was sure that Chris, our packing engineer, would be able to find a place for himself in the car.  Actually, we knew his place (the driver's seat.)  I guess the real question was, "where was I going to fit?"  Anyway, he did it.  We drove him to Temecula, CA on Monday, July 20, where he had some outdoor meetings with his work colleagues.  Then the kids and I drove to Yosemite National Park.

It took us forever to get there and we stopped for groceries near the park.  Once we arrived at the park entrance, we still had to drive another hour and a half to get to our campsite.  Berhanu kept saying that he felt sick.  I gave him a plastic bag and told him that I was trying to get to our campsite as soon as possible.  Well, I thought he was suffering from a combination of fatigue and boredom, and all of us were just sick of being in the car.  But no... halfway to our campground he threw up.  The bag was a small help.  I had to pull over and take care of that and we arrived at camp at about 10:30 pm.  I guess that had to happen at least once in the trip.  Fortunately, he wasn't really sick and he felt fine the next day.

We've become quite adept at getting the tent up in no time and everyone was in bed and asleep by 11.  I had no idea of the beautiful vistas I had passed, or of the cliffs that were beside me as I drove through Yosemite at night.  The stars were remarkable, but I couldn't spend much time looking at them as I was driving.


No comments:

Post a Comment